Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Getting Started

Since I arrived at school this fall semester of my sophomore year, I have been a loyal customer at the Tuesday morning farmers' markets on Greene Street. I originally started shopping there, because it was conveniently close to my dorm and I loved seeing all of the fresh produce on display; now, it's turned into something a little more...

My new Tuesday routine includes stopping at the ATM to take out exactly $20 on the way to French class. Then, after class, I make my way to Greene Street to stop at the farmers' market stands and collect almost my entire week's worth of produce. Yep, that's right, my entire WEEK'S worth - all for $20.

Usually, I'll pick up a few tomatoes (at least one green tomato to later slice, dip in egg and milk, and dust with bread crumbs before broiling and topping with grated parmesan cheese), two zucchini, three cucumbers, one or two apples, green beans, a baggie of Scuppernongs, some type of squash, eggplant, another fruit (maybe peaches, kiwi or grapes), fresh goat cheese OR a loaf of wheat bread, and a small treat for myself (homemade popsicles or freshly-brewed coffee?)... and let me reiterate... all of this is AT MOST $20.

I decided to start blogging about this because I've also begun a project in English class (no, this is NOT the project, ew) where we get to choose our own topic about a current issue and research it. Since I've already done a little bit of research about the local food initiative and it's HUGE sustainable and beneficial outcome, I chose that as my topic. What makes it an issue is the fact that there is an increase in global food production and purchasing and the distance that food is traveling to make it to people's plates. To keep it short, the lack of localization is in turn causing a higher rate of emissions to transport the food, it's not giving back to the local economy, the quality of food is diminishing (as the addition of preservatives and additives is accumulating), and trust is diminishing between producer and consumer. A little proof that local food is the answer: I cause ZERO emissions on my trip to and from the farmer's market, I'm keeping the money in local circulation, the food I buy is fresh and has no preservatives or additives whatsoever, and I LOVE interacting with my friendly farmers.

But that's enough of an introduction, and away we go!

This week's bounty (a little smaller than usual because the rustic wheat sourdough loaf was pricey):

And here's a little something I made last night with some of last week's bounty:

Stuffed, roasted acorn squash. Filling: carmelized onions sauteed with golden apples, chopped dates, and walnuts. No need for any sauces or sugar, the natural flavors played out perfectly.




No comments:

Post a Comment